Wednesday 30 October 2013

Nigerians Abroad: Answering The Question "Where Are You From"

OK, I spent some years in Nigerian before relocating abroad, but I tend to constantly have this problem whenever I come across a fellow Nigerian man. Usually the Non-Nigerians are cool when they just ask are you from Africa, and you say Yes, thats it, the whites, hispanic and Asians just really consider that if you are not American they you are from "Africa" /End of discussion. But in the spirit of aproko that has been bestowed on all of us, Nigerians like to poke nose, when even when you answer you are from Nigeria they insist what side, which state and which local government area (seriously?). Ok my problem is that when I was in Nigeria, I was born and grown in a state that is not same as where my parents are from (although I perfectly understand my mothers tongue, but my native tongue is of the state where I was born and spent most of my teen/adult life in), this seems to be creating an identity crisis as I have never been to the state where my parents were born (where they are from?), So I just end up telling the nosy Nigerians where I was born (I assume thats where I am from?) then eventually when they get to see my name they exclaim (Loud Nigerians, especially the Yorubas) - Ah, you are from where and you said you are from here, then I have to start telling them all my life history (I feel this annoying).

In a nut shell where is a person really "from"?? Is it where you grew up?, where you were born or where your parents are "from"? (born)
See more picz after the cut....


No comments:

Post a Comment